Monday, July 30, 2012
Did you see the '60s icons in concert Friday? What did you think?
Examiner.com has posted a concert review of Friday's performance by 1960s legends The Zombies at the Largo Cultural Center. Reviewer Ray Shasho wrote that "if you close your eyes you’d swear that you were back in 1964. The entire band was flawless." The British band, which scored hits with singles "She's Not There" and "Tell Her No," was kicking off its 50th anniversary tour of America and played before a packed house Friday. Did you go to the concert? What did you think? Post your review in the comments section below.
Monday, June 18, 2012
Tickets go on sale June 21 at 10 a.m.
Monday, June 18, 2012
After selling out her show in Largo last year, Keiko Matsui will return for a one night only performance on Saturday, October 13 at 8 p.m. at the Largo Cultural Center. Tickets go on sale Thursday, June 21 at 10 a.m. Tickets are $45.50 advance, $50.50 VIP and day of show. Tickets can be purchased online at LargoArts.com or by calling (727)587-6793. An icon of contemporary jazz, pianist Keiko Matsui creates music both powerful and introspective, blending Western and Eastern musical influences. Her exquisite style of Japanese jazz spans three decades of international acclaim. Elegant piano melodies, a free spirit and creative genius mark her return to the Largo stage.
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Featuring recycled designs by local students and adults, the fifth annual Trashy Fashion Show took place at the Largo Cultural Center on Saturday.
Featuring recycled designs crafted and modeled by local students and adults, the fifth annual Trashy Fashion Show took place at the Largo Cultural Center on Saturday. The winners were: OVERALL ADULT HIGH SCHOOL TEEN/TWEEN JUNIOR The Trashy Fashion Show celebrated Earth Day, and participants were encouraged to reduce, reuse and recycle discarded items to create fashions made from at least 75 percent recycled materials. Forty-two amateur designers and 25 green-friendly vendors participated. For more on green initiatives in Largo, become a fan of Largo Recycles on Facebook.
Saturday, April 21, 2012
Take a 3-D journey and explore the benefits of good nutrition and exercise.
Saturday, April 21, 2012
The Largo Cultural Center will offer a live educational performance, Kid Power Operation Lunch Line. The highly interactive musical show is designed to teach children the importance of healthy eating and physical activity. The performance will take place on Saturday, May 5 at 11 a.m. Using spectacular visual effects in 3-D technology, the audience will join Kid Power on an amazing journey inside the human body of a boy named Max, to learn the value of good nutrition and exercise. Bring you whole family to sing along, participate in the biggest exercise dance party on stage, and use your "kid power" to make health-enhancing choices in all areas of your lives. Tickets are $7.50 adult, $6.50 children, $22 family four-pack. Tickets can be …
Monday, April 2, 2012
Monday Movie, "Tonight's the Night", Florida Gardens, Finals
1. What to wear? Expect a mostly sunny day with a high around 82. Tonight the low will be around 67, according to the National Weather Service. 2. Monday Movie. Today's Monday Matinee is Murder on the Orient Express. The film starts at 12:30 p.m. in the Jenkins Community Wing of the Largo Public Library, 120 Central Park Drive. 3. Tonight's the Night. The Rod Stewart Tribute show is today at the Largo Cultural Center, 105 Central Park Drive. Show times are 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Reserved tickets are $22. 4. Florida Garden Tour. Take a tour through the Florida Botanical Garden. Learn about Florida native and Florida-friendly plants. Discover how you can incorporate some of these plants in your home garden. Learn more about various light and …
Thursday, March 29, 2012
Movie in the Park, Beatles Tribute Band, Day of Sales, Charity Walks, Pinellas County Fair
1. Movie in the Park. Bring your blanket Friday night to Largo Central Park. This week's movie Hop (starts at dusk) tells the tale of the Easter Bunny's teenage son's adventures in Los Angeles on his quest to become a drummer in a rock-n-roll band. The free movies are shown on a big screen. 2. Beatles Tribute Band. Yesterday and Today returns to the Largo Cultural Center Friday at 8 p.m. The Beatles Tribute Band played at a special rooftop concert in Largo Central Park earlier this month. The band's set is based on audience requests. Cost is $27. 3. Day of Sales. Largo's first annual "Day of Sales" event is Saturday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. at the Largo Community Center, 400 Alternate Keene Road. There will be live music by the Clearwater …
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
The all request Beatles concert means the audience shapes the show.
Three brothers in, Yesterday and Today: The Interactive Beatles Experience, return home to Largo this weekend when they play at the Largo Cultural Center March 30 at 8 p.m. From a military family, Largo was home base for Billy McGuigan, 37, and his brothers- Ryan McGuigan, 34 and Matthew McGuigan, 31. Their grandparents moved to Largo in 1979 and Largo became the common thread for the brothers' childhood as their father's military service took them around the globe. "My first school memories are at Walsingham Elementary School and my brothers graduated from Gibbs High School," Billy McGuigan said. Friday's concert will be the brother's first indoor concert in Largo. They played on the Largo Cultural Center's rooftop at a special lunchtime …
Wednesday, March 21, 2012
Teen Idol, Kung Fu Panda, Spring Gardening, Skate Park
1. What to wear? You may want to grab the umbrella today. Expect scattered showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m. Otherwise today will be mostly sunny with a high near 84. The chance of precipitation is 30 percent. Tonight it will be mostly cloudy with a low around 68, according to the National Weather Service. 2. Teen Idol. Who will be Largo's next teen idol? Find out tonight, as teens share their vocal talent at the Largo Cultural Center at 7 p.m. Tickets are $7. 3. Early Release Movie. Today's early release movie is Kung Fu Panda (2008) at the Largo Public Library. The show starts at 2:30 p.m. in the Children's Program Room. 4. Spring Gardening. Want some gardening tips? Pinellas County Extension can answer your questions by email, …
Monday, March 19, 2012
Monday Matinee, Doo Wop, Trashy Fashion, Free Exercise
1. What to wear? Expect a mostly sunny day with a high near 80. Tonight will be partly cloudy with a low around 65, according to the National Weather Service. 2. Monday Matinee. Feel like a movie? Today's afternoon movie at the Largo Public Library is "Once Upon a Time in the West." The movie will be shown in the Jenkins Community Wing at 12:30 p.m. 3. Doo Wop With a Twist. Rock-n-roll entertainers, Joey Dee and Tommy Mara, will take you on a stroll down memory lane as they perform some of their greatest hits, including Peppermint Twist, Shout, 16 Candles and Step by Step. The shows are today, at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., at the Largo Cultural Center. Cost is $22. Call (727) 587-6793 for more information. 4. Trashy Fashion Deadline. The deadline …
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Food Trucks & Free Concert, Tutor English, Best Customer Service, St. Patrick's Picks.
1. What to wear? Today will be mostly sunny with a high near 82. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 62. Expect, patchy fog after 3 a.m., according to the National Weather Service. 2. Food Trucks & Free Concert. The Largo Cultural Center hosts a free outdoor concert and food truck rally today from 11:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m., as a part of its 15th anniversary celebration. The Beatles tribute band, Yesterday and Today, will recreate the Beatles' 1969 rooftop concert with a live performance on the cultural center's roof overlooking Largo Central Park. 3. Tutor English. Want to help others learn English? Become a volunteer English language tutor. Come to the Largo Public Library tonight from 6 until 8 p.m. For more information …