Have you seen the new "Stop for Pedestrians" crosswalks around town?
The new crosswalks feature enhanced flashing LED lights and the "Stop for Pedestrians" message. This is a change from the previous yield for pedestrian message. It reflects a change in state law, Largo Police Sgt. George Edmiston said in a video.
The new flashing LED lighting give the warning to the motorist of the presence of a pedestrian. The lights are visible almost up to a mile away, Edmiston said.
Motorists and pedestrians are encouraged to be cautious.
Mid-block crossings are the problem 60 percent of the time, which statistically has been a contributing factor to a lot of fatal accidents, Edmiston said in a previous interview.
New Crosswalk Locations:
- Lake Avenue and The Avenue of the Palms (Palms of Largo)
- The Avenue of the Palms (Mid-Block Crossing)
- Alt. Keene at the Community Center
- Eighth Avenue SE at Largo Middle School
- Clearwater Largo Rd., Mid-Block Crossing between 3rd and 4th Ave NW
- Clearwater Largo Rd., Mid-Block Crossing between 5th and 6th Ave NW
- Clearwater Largo Rd., Mid-Block Crossing between 9th and 10th Ave NW