We Floridians are spoiled with beautiful weather and the coastal life. We also have some of the best seafood restaurants right here in Largo and the surrounding areas, that serve fresh fish caught locally.
Regardless of how you like your seafood - fried, baked, grilled, raw or blackened - you'll be sure to find your favorites at one of these five picks.
- Try one of Thirsty's favorite dishes: Sailfish Scampi ($15.99)- includes ten peeled and deveined shrimp, sautéed in Thirsty’s homemade scampi sauce; Curacao Cedar Plank Salmon ($18.99)- includes North Atlantic salmon cooked atop a real cedar plank and topped with carmelized onions; or Caribbean Jambalaya ($16.99), which has five Key West pink shrimp, jerk chicken, Andouille sausage, roasted red peppers and yellow rice in a light and savory Caribbean sauce. They also offer sushi Wednesdays through Sundays, starting at 5 p.m.
- Thirsty Marlin is located at 351 West Bay Dr., Largo, FL. Open from 11:30 a.m. to 12 a.m. For more information, call (727) 586-3474.
- Try Salt Rock for delicious early bird specials: two dinners for $25. Choose "Rock The Boat" (a fresh day fish roasted with shrimp in a crab cream sauce), "Salmon Croquette Oscar" (blue crab, grilled asparagus and Hollandaise sauce) or "Mussels Provencale" (mussels in a white wine, garlic basil, saffron broth over linguine) and more. All early dinners come with sour dough bread with herbed olive oil, house or Caesar salad, and a chef’s dessert.
- Salt Rock Grill is located 19325 Gulf Boulevard, Indian Shores, FL. 33785. For more information, (727) 593-7625. Early bird specials run from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Home of the $10 Real Deal and $17.50 Real Steal. The real deal special includes your choice of a starter (kettle chips maytag creama, lobster bisque or salad), entree (Jumbo Lump crab cake, fresh fish kabob, coconut shrimp or shrimp scampi) and decadent dessert (sweet potato beignets, hot apple crisp or Island Rum cake). The real steal is a surf and turf special of tempura lobster tail, and filet mignon kabob with chimchurri sauce, island rice, black beans and lobster macarani and cheese.
- Marlin Darlin is located at 2819 West Bay Drive, Bellair Bluffs, FL. For more information, call (727)584-1700. The restaurant is open seven days a week, opens at 4 p.m. daily.
- Jimmy Guana's is located in the Holiday Inn Harborside. They are open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Enjoy their restaurant's vast seafood menu and live music. Try their house special: Margaritaville Shrimp, jumbo peel-and-eat shrimp baked in a New Orleans style seasoning. Or, you can head there on Friday for their fabulous all-you-can-eat grouper fish fry. It's only $11.95.
- Jimmy Guana's is located at 401 Second Street, Indian Rocks Beach, FL. 33785. For more information, call (727) 595-8356. Open daily from 7:00 a.m. to 2 a.m.
- Of course, you'll find your choice of oysters at PJ's. They've got half shell (raw or steamed) oysters. The dish to try is Oysters Rockefeller. It includes six, baked oysters stopped with Hollandaise sauce, spinach and bacon. Another favorite is their Chicago style oysters which comes with a dozen, baked oysters topped with Parmesan cheese and garlic butter. For a decadent meal, try their 16-18 ounce giant lobster tail or PJ's Super Combo: an eight-ounce lobster tail with your choice of two sides (half of a pound of you-peel-shrimp, half a rack of baby back ribs, ten fried shrimp or half of a pound of Snow crab, Dungeness crab or Stone crab).
- PJ's Oyster Bar is located at 500 1st Street, Indian Rocks Beach, FL. For more information, call (727) 596-5898.