Summer doesn't have to be long and boring. If you're wondering what to do with the kids, find some great suggestions in Diana M. Weber's article, "" While it seems the kids have their pick of specialty , you don't have to miss out on the fun.
The offers a variety of adult classes to learn almost anything you can think of. Here are Patch's Picks on five fun summer hobbies.
- All Day Scrapbook Crop: Gather your piles and piles of photos and turn them into beautiful scrapbooks. The all day event will give you time to preserve those special moments into memorable scrapbooks. Bring your own supplies (scrapbook, photo and tools), and enjoy lunch, dinner and light snacks provided by the recreation center. Fee is only $10. Highland Recreation Center, June 11, from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. For more information, call Largo Community Center at (727) 518-3131.
- Ikenobo Ikebana: Learn how to create your own beautiful Japanese art (seen at ). Muriel Scrivner will teach you this unique flower arranging art. Classes are held on the first Monday of each month, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. To register, call (813) 780-6404.
- Painting With Light, An Introduction To Digital Photography: If your picture taking turns out a mixture of blurry and dark images, consider learning the basics of photography. The four-week course will help you take photos like the pros. You must have a digital camera, owner’s manual and an USB thumb drive. The class will be held on Thursdays, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. To be placed on the interest list, call (727)518-3131.
- Learn To Dance: Think of the television show, “Dancing With The Stars”, and grab your own spotlight with this social dance class. Each week, you’ll learn a new dance style, such as the Waltz, Rumba, Foxtrot and Cha Cha Cha. The class is held on Saturdays, from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Cost is $28 with a resident card; $35 with a nonresident card. You can also drop-in, for $11.75 per class. For more information, call Largo Community Center at (727) 518-3131.
- Bicycling: take advantage of the beautiful Florida weather and Largo's gorgeous trails. Ride the , and stop to enjoy brunch with friends. You must call on Mondays to confirm Thursday's ride. The morning bike ride is from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Cost is $1 for residents; $1.25 for nonresidents; $4.25 for guests. For more information, call Phil Bell at (727)518-3131.