Thanks to all the veterans who have served our country! Largo is honoring military veterans with a from 7-9 p.m. today.
Banks, government offices and libraries in Largo will be closed in observance of Veterans Day. Garbage collection will continue as scheduled.
When you thank a veteran today, here are some facts to keep in mind about their role in shaping the United States:
1. Veteran voters
- 15.8 million veterans voted in the 2008 presidential election. That’s 71 percent of veterans. Source: Voting and Registration in the Election of November 2008
- 12.4 million veterans, or 57 percent, voted in the 2010 congressional election. Source: Voting and Registration in the Election of November 2010
2. Veterans in the workforce
- There were 9.6 million veterans ages 18 to 64 in the workforce in 2010.
- The average income of a veteran is $35,367 based on 2010 inflation-adjusted dollars, compared to $25,605 for the population as a whole.
3. Veterans in Florida
- There are 1.6 million veterans in Florida. Florida is one of three states that is home to more than 1 million veterans. The others are California (2 million) and Texas (1.6 million).
- In 2010, there were 21.8 million veterans in the United States; 1.6 million of those were female.
4. Veterans with disabilities
- There are 3.4 million veterans who were injured during service. Of those, 698,000 are at least 70 percent disabled.
5. Veterans and education
- In 2010, 26 percent of veterans 25 and older had at least a bachelor's degree.
This information was provided by the U.S. Census and 2010 American Community Survey.