It's the weekend before Halloween, and you'll have your choice of special treats. Mark your calendars because the fun starts on Friday.
For timid trick-or-treaters, they can relax at the library's "Not Very Scary Halloween". On Friday evening, you can enjoy Fuguitt Elementary's PTA Pumpkin Patch Party, or go to the dark side with a nighttime trek through McGough Nature Park.
Saturday features the very popular Halloween Spooktacular event at Largo Central Park with a jammed-packed night of music, games, and fun. Nearby in St. Petersburg, you can watch zombie dancers overtake the Pier in the attempt to break a world record.
While you're in a festive spirit, head to the SPCA Tampa Bay for a pet and family photo shoot with sitting fees being donated to the organization.
For kids who like Halloween without a side order of scare, take them to the library. The event will highlight an hour of good old-fashioned fun with stories, crafts, cartoons and treats.
- Friday, October 28, at 3:30 p.m.
- Cost: Free
- Teen Room,120 Central Park Drive, Largo, FL 33771
- For more information, call (727) 587-6715, extension 2531.
Head to the park for an exciting way to treat-or-treat -- with owls and other nocturnal animals. Stroll the trail with the moonlight as your guide, and learn more about the animals that hide in the dark. Top the night with roasting marshmallows around the campfire.
- Friday, October 28, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Cost: $3 per person; free for kids two years old and younger.
- , 11901 146th Street, Largo, FL 33774
- Reservations are recommended. Call (727) 518-3047.
Calling friends and families of Fuguitt Elementary students for this fun, fall party. Pre-K through fifth grader students will enjoy a jam-packed evening of games, pumpkin stories, crafts, cookie decorating and a showing of the classic pumpkin patch movie. No party is complete without a costume parade, complete with door prizes and other treats.
The event is also a fundraiser for the RCS, and participants are encouraged to bring canned goods to donate.
- Friday, October 28, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Cost: Free, but a donation of canned goods are appreciated.
- Fuguitt Elementary School, 13010 101st Street, Largo, FL 33773
- For more information, call (727) 588-3576.
Don't miss Largo's huge Halloween event, held at Largo Central Park. It will feature a trail for trick-or-treating, a haunted trail for older kids, plenty of rocking music, fair rides, bounce houses, Wii games played out on the big screen, concessions and more. The only problem you'll have is deciding what to do first.
- Saturday, October 29, from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Cost: $5 in advance for recreation card holders; $6 in advance without rec card; $7 at the event.
- Parking: $5 for on-site parking; free shuttle rides for those parking at Everest University and the Pinellas County School Board.
- , 101 Central Park Driive, Largo, FL 33771
- For more information, call (727) 587-6740, extension 5014.
Gather the family for this special photo opportunity to take a portrait with your pet. You'll have a choice of two backgrounds, including a holiday-themed setting. The event is also a fundraiser for the SPCA Tampa Bay.
Photographer Laura Allen volunteers her time and donates all the sitting fees to the organization. It's a great way to create your family holiday photos while donating to a good cause.
- Saturday and Sunday, October 29 and 30, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Cost: Packages start at $14.95; holiday cards, $37.50. Sitting fees range from $15 to $30, depending on the number of people and pets.
- , 9099 130th Avenue, Largo, FL 33773
- For an appointment, call (727) 584-5040.
6. Night of the Living Irish
There's a Halloween bash at . There will be live music, food, street performers, food vendors, a costume contest for cash prizes and giveaways, Halloween trivia and games. There is no cover charge.
- O'Shy's is located at 80 Clearwater-Largo Road N in downtown Largo