Most 'Insane' Stories Have Local Ties
Some of the craziest stories of the year across Florida have Largo and Pinellas County ties. What is the craziest story in Largo this year?
The social media website BuzzFeed released 'The 40 Most Insane Things That Happened in Florida This Year'.
While the list of funny, shocking and humiliating incidents reads like it would be a top list for the entire U.S., all are in Florida and three are local stories.
- The Manatee Rider
- The search and arrest for the alleged manatee rider comes in at No. 35 on the 'insane' list.
- Summary: Ana Gloria Garcia Gutierrez, 53, had been photographed allegedly sitting on and riding a manatee in Fort De Soto Park on Sept. 30. On Nov. 24, authorities arrested her at her workplace on the charge of violating the Manatee Sanctuary Act.
- Tampa Bay Mystery Monkey
- After more than two years the mysterious monkey was finally captured and even made an appearance on the Colbert Report. The monkey stayed in Seminole before it was moved to a sanctuary in Dade City. The monkey came in at No. 34 on BuzzFeed's list.
- Summary: The rhesus monkey was tranquilized with a dart gun by trappers from the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The monkey was spotted in various locations through the Tampa Bay area, most recently living in a south St. Petersburg neighborhood.
- Largo Puppeteer
- At No. 7 on BuzzFeed's list is the Largo puppeteer who allegedly wanted to 'cook' and 'eat' children, according to authorities.
- Summary: The 57-year-old Largo man, Ronald William Brown, who performed at local schools and churches for 20 years, was charged in July with allegedly conspiring to kidnap kids and was found allegedly with images of child porn in his home, federal agents said.
Other crazy and insane top stories in Florida this year include a fight over harmonicas, a mom biting her daughter after she tried to turn off her Rihanna CD and, of course, people eating faces in Miami.