Five Things to Know Today: Monday, May 7
Monday Matinee, African Violets, Little Artists, Leon Russell
1. What to wear? Today will be mostly sunny, with a high in the mid 80s. There's a chance of thunderstorms today. Expect a partly cloudy night, with a low around 73, according to the National Weather Service.
2. Monday Matinee. Feel like a movie? This month's theme is "learn something." Today at the Largo Public Library at 12:30 p.m. watch- Word Wars: Tiles and Tribulations on the Scrabble Circuit (2004) NR. Based on a book, the documentary looks at the world of competitive Scrabble.
3. African Violets. Learn how to design with violets tonight at the Palms of Largo, 400 Lake Avenue NE, at 7 p.m. The Upper Pinellas African Violet Society program is free. There will be refreshments served and violet raffles.
Want to get an African Violet for mom? The Upper Pinellas African Violet Society has a sale on May 10 at St. Matthias Lutheran Church, 2751 Sunset Point Road in Clearwater.
4. Little Artists. Does your preschooler enjoy arts and crafts? There's a special creative creations class for children ages 3-5 on Wednesday at 10 a.m. at the Highland Recreation Complex. Cost is $5/$6.25.
5. Leon Russell. Tickets are selling fast for the legendary singer/songwriter's performance on May 18 (8:00 p.m.) at the Largo Cultural Center. Tickets are $34 in advance. Call (727) 587-6793 for more information or order from the online box office.