Father’s Day Gift Ideas
Largo Patch offers five things that will bring a smile to any man’s face this Father’s Day.
While Mother’s Day might get more fanfare, everyone knows fathers are nearly as important as their counterparts in the grand scheme of things.
Although dads don’t necessarily want to be wined and dined or showered with flowers, they still enjoy a good, thoughtful gift or two in addition to not having to mow the lawn for a day.
With that in mind, Largo Patch came up with five terrific Father’s Day gift ideas to give to that special dad in your life.
1. Golf. There are a number of excellent golf courses in the Largo area, and there’s sure to be one to suit your favorite golfing father’s needs. Bardmoor is a top-notch facility that offers everything a dad needs to work on his game, while the East Bay Golf Club is a picturesque course in a laid-back environment. Fathers looking to have fun with their kids should check out Missing Links, a mini golf course/driving range/ice cream parlor on East Bay Drive.
2. Racing. Is your dad a big racing fan? Then you might want to head down to the recently reopened Sunshine Speedway (since renamed the Showtime Dragstrip) on 126th Avenue in Pinellas Park. The new owners have worked hard to get the landmark raceway reopened, and they are hosting bike races, car shows, and drag and figure 8 races a couple of days a week. Check the schedule here, and surprise Dad with a fun trip to the ‘strip.
3. Movies. Has Dad been dying to see the latest summer blockbuster? Does the family want to take in The Avengers again? If so, there are a number of first-run movie theaters in the Largo area, including the 16-theater Regal Park Place Stadium just a short drive down U.S. 19 in Pinellas Park. So grab some popcorn and spend the day with Dad in the cozy confines of an air-conditioned theater.
4. Bicycles. Biking is an immensely popular activity in Largo, so why not get Dad that sweet new ride he’s been wanting, or pay for a tune-up for his aging cycle? Ride-n-Roll on West Bay, Bike Pros in Seminole and Marlowe’s on Indian Rocks Road are a few places to buy new bikes and accessories, and if he needs a tune-up, head to the eclectic D&S Bike Shop on Walsingham Road and then hop right on the adjacent Pinellas Trail for a relaxing ride.
5. Steak, wings and beer. There aren’t many men around who don’t enjoy at least one of these items; many are enamored with all three. Luckily, there are plenty of places in the area to take Dad where he can enjoy his favorite items. WingHouse, Goose's and Niagara Tap have terrific wings; great steaks can be had at Longhorn, Outback and E&E Steakout Grill; and beer you can get most anywhere, but O’Shy’s Irish Tap House has a wide variety of flavors for the discerning, beer-loving dad, and Barley Mow has an excellent selection of original home brews.
Have any other suggestions? Let us know in the comments below. Happy Father's Day, Largo dads!