Big League All Stars Seek Donations for World Series
Palm Harbor's Nelson Construction has made a $2,000 donation, the largest so far. The money is needed to pay for unexpected expenses for the team's trip to play in the Big League World Series.
A group of talented local teens has worked hard to make it all the way to the Big League World Series in Easley, SC. Now, they're looking for a financial boost to help with costs of the trip.
Right now, the District 12 Big League All Stars are in Easley, preparing for the games, which begin Thursday, July 26. The team, which includes players from Dunedin, Clearwater, Largo and Palm Harbor, won the Southeast Regional Championship last week, earning them a spot to play in the world series.
Little League paid for the team's travel to Easley. However, the 16 players and three coaches must pick up the cost to pay for luggage and equipment to be flown to the game and back home, which can cost $45 for each item, each way, according to a District 12 staff member.
Other costs the team will have to pay include the rental for a van that took them to a Shriner's Hospital, where the players autographed baseballs to give to the hospital's young patients. The team will also have to pay for some meals.
"It gets quite expensive," said the District 12 staff member, who did not want to be identified.
The City of Dunedin kicked in $500 last Thursday, after one of the player's mothers and a Little League volunteer showed up at the city commission meeting to ask the city to make a donation.
Nelson Construction of Palm Harbor has also donated $2,000.
"I think it's wonderful for a local team to make it to the World Series, and we want to lend our support," said David Nelson, CEO of Nelson Construction.
The District 12 Little League has set up a place for people to donate on its website. The donation goal is $5,000, according to the site.
District 12 All Stars:
Greater Dunedin Little League
- Brett Beery, right field, Dunedin High
- Aaron Chesson, pitcher, Dunedin High
- Jesse Dingman, first, third and pitcher, Palm Harbor University High
- Ben Emery, third base, Dunedin High grad, University of Miami
- Brannon Glover, pitcher, Dunedin High
- Jack Hamrick, pitcher, third base, Dunedin High
- Alex Hart, shortstop, pitcher, Dunedin High
- Colyn O’Connell, Dunedin High
- Will Priest, Dunedin High
- Jordon Savinon, catcher, Dunedin High grad, St. Petersburg College
Largo Little League
- Brian Balbin, designated hitter, Indian Rocks Christian grad, Palm Beach Atlantic
- TJ Glessner, second base, Osceola High grad, Brevard
- Brad Miller, pitcher, first base, Indian Rocks Christian
- Steven Petrilyak, shortstop, Largo High
- Derrick Webb, left field, Largo High
Clearwater Little League
- Carter Cashman, outfield, Clearwater Central Catholic High
District 12's World Series Schedule:
- Thursday, July 26: vs. Central (Indiana), 4 p.m.
- Friday, July 27: vs. Southwest (Texas West - Laredo), 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, July 28: vs. South Carolina (Bye team), 7:30 p.m.
- Monday, July 30: vs. West (Southern California), 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 31: US Semi-Final / International Semi-Final
- Wednesday, Aug. 1: Big League World Series Championship (on ESPN3)
Other Stories You Might Like-